Second video in the Hyperbipe series where I go thru the assembly steps and give useful tips to complete the build of this model.
Introducing the Durafly (from Hobbyking) D.H. 110 Sea Vixen. I built it an about an hour, glueing the wings, the booms and the horizontal stabilizer. Setup was easy and balancing it was a cinch! I’m powering it with a 4-cell 2650 maH Turnigy Nana-tech 35-70 C lipo battery.
In the air
As you can see in the video, take-off was uneventful, I let it catch speed and I applied a bit of back pressure to get it airborne. Once flying, it needed a bit of down-trim to get it flying nice and stable hands-off. It is very easy to fly, thanks to the huge wing area. It just wants to glide! I set my low rates at 70% with 35% expo and it seemed perfect for normal flying. Tip stalling it is practically impossible, thanks again to the huge wing area. Landings are very easy: I just cut power when doing the final approach and the Sea Vixen just floats in.
The D.H. 110 Sea Vixen from Durafly is one of my favorite planes in my fleet. It flies even gentler than the Vampire, but when kicked into high rates, it handles acrobatic maneuvers like a champ. Flight times are about 5 minutes with a good mix of cruising and acrobatic flying. It is not super fast, but very impressive in the air, it certainly scoots along with gusto. I wonder what a 12-blade EDF fan would do to the top speed.
Check out the newest addition to my fleet! The Durafly D.H. 100 Sea Vixen. Comes with all the hardware needed, just build it, add your 4 cell Lipo and receiver and you’re ready to fly. The plane comes double-boxed for protection and very well packaged. The details on this plane are amazing. Stay tuned for the maiden flight video.
If you’re interested, visit the product page at Hobbyking
One of my favorite flying planes of all times is the D.H. Vampire from Hobbyking, though it isn’t without its flaws. Before I put it together, I noticed that the tail booms weren’t as stiff as one would expect. I proceeded to embed a carbon fiber rod to stiffen it a bit. I only added it to one boom, as one would be enough. Check out the pictures below where I illustrate this process.