hawk-manual

Tfmodel BAE Hawk 70mm EDF – Instruction Manual

I’ve noticed that the instruction manual for the BAE Hawk from TF Model is really hard to find online, and some would say impossible. I recently purchased on on RCGroups and the seller sent me the manual in pdf format via email. I though I’d share it with you guys here. Please note that the CG is stated at 85mm behind the leading edge of the wing, but the seller said it was more like 65mm. I took a loot at instruction manual for the E-Flite Hawk, and it states that that it should be 80-90mm.

When I maidened (and crashed) mine, it felt too tail-heavy at 65mm (check out the video by clicking here), so test and experiment yourself.

Read More

BAE Hawk – Maiden flight + crash video

This is the maiden flight video and eventual crash and demise of this beautiful plane. The damage isn’t too bad, just a shattered canopy and a busted nose section. I ordered a new canopy, and I’ll start fixing the nose this week. Hopefully flight #2 will go better.

The center of gravity should’ve been set at 85mm behind the leading edge per the instruction manual, but the seller said it was wrong and it should’ve been set to 65mm. The manual for the E-Flite version of this plane says 80 – 90mm.

I balanced it at 65mm from the leading edge, after stuffing a 1000mah 3-cell in the nose to balance the plane, but after I crashed it, the very experienced fellow rc-enthusiast that was helping me out with the initial flight told me that it looked too tail-heavy.

It seemed like I had too much throw on the ailerons, even though I lowered the throw to 70% with 35% expo, per said gentleman’s recommendation. What do you think happened?

Check out the picture gallery here.

 

Read More

bae-hawk

BAE Hawk – 70mm EDF Jet

I have officially been bitten by the EDF jet bug, after flying the D.H. Vampire from Hobbyking. My latest model is a 70mm BAE Hawk, featuring a composite fuselage (fiber glass) and built-up balsa wings. It is powered by a 6-blade ducted fan unit turned by a 3600 kv brushless motor.

Putting it together took about 4 hours, with the installation of the ducted fan and all the electronics. It uses 5 9-gram servos, 2 for the ailerons, 2 for the elevator and 1 for the nose gear. I flew it with a Nano-tech 2650 mah 4-cell LiPo battery on a 60 amp ESC with a BEC.

The maiden flight didn’t go well, I crash after about 10 seconds of flight, due in part by what seems to be a bad balance (too tail-heavy) and too much throw on the elevator surfaces, even though I lowered them to 70% travel and I added 34% of expo.

Read More